Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Fallacy of Gnostic Monism ...
03-06-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: The Fallacy of Gnostic Monism ...
At least the quality of the company is as good as it's always been!

The gnostic community seems to have calmed down in this post-Dan Brown era of media. Nobody's deliberately picking fights with us any more, so we don't need to debate and develop out opinions to the same degree any more. That's not to say we shouldn't, but that it's a period of relative peace. There isn't quite the same kind of need for fellowship when you're not under scrutiny.

Having said that, I hope everybody comes back one day. I'd like to have an eye-crossing argument once and a while, it keeps the mind sharp Tongue
03-06-2014, 07:26 PM
IKR? It totally does., I was reading through lots of the posts and was just shocked at all the emotions and intellect that got passed about. I read through all that and i think.. HOW could i ever shut this place down?
There was a point made in this thread , that was good and i wanted to revist. i guess I should scroll through.

[Image: tumblr-1.png][Image: dreamwidth.png][Image: blogger.png][Image: Diaspora.png][Image: identica.png]
03-07-2014, 07:09 AM
If, as I believe, Gnosis is purely experiential, and acting and creating in the spirit of Gnosis is acting directly and intuitively from the experience of Gnosis, then all these intellectual arguments about Gnosis become superfluous.

If we immerse ourselves in Gnosis, then the words of the (in)famous Aleistair Crowley apply: "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." Or, in the spirt of a Zen poem:

While alive, be a dead man
-Thoroughly dead-
And act as you will,
And all is well.

Or, in the words of Julian of Norwich:

All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 08:02 AM by Sr.ShiloMichelle.)
Quote: If, as I believe, Gnosis is purely experiential, and acting and creating in the spirit of Gnosis is acting directly and intuitively from the experience of Gnosis, then all these intellectual arguments about Gnosis become superfluous.
I agree

But I think that most of the arguments of this nature are based on 'Gnostic' as determined by scholars.
We might have our own understanding of 'gnosis' - but in the Nag Hammadi, how did the authors view the world? what was the Gnostic 'world-view'? was it dualist etc.
The arguments about what gnosis is to us, and how we experience it or how we MIGHT experience it almost don't exist - the arguments fly when we begin to discuss Gnosti 'cism' and the underlying theology and cosmology of the authors from almost 2000 years ago.

[Image: tumblr-1.png][Image: dreamwidth.png][Image: blogger.png][Image: Diaspora.png][Image: identica.png]
03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes, the history of Gnosticism.

2,000 years ago there must have been several streams of Gnosticism. Some of the Gnostic sects of that time, and even the Cathars of a much later age, seemed to have embraced a dualism between the material and the spiritual, which would not sit well with most of us neo-Gnostics. But I am not knowledgable enough in Gnostic history to comment on the various Gnostic sects and streams.
03-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Nor am I, but many here (or who have been here) have made it their goal to study and be knowledgeable about it.
Our biggest board battles here seem to have been about dualism. Gospel ot Thomas isn't super 'dualist' but then again its not necessarily considered 'Gnostic' either, but was found with Gnostic texts.

03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't know whether the Gospel of Judas that was published by National Geographic about ten years ago is considered Gnostic, but the author of this gospel writes that "The Great Self-Generative Spirit" created the universe by, in, and out of itself.
03-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Well, there isnt a doubt about the fact that we came from a One Source originally... the dualism is more about Spirit Good, Matter Bad sorta. The Demiurge created this world, it is our job to escape it. That's an underlying theme in Gnostic texts. God and the Demiurge. Awakening from the dream. False realities etc.
Though this thread does stray from that in many places there are threads in this section that do indeed get quite deeply into it.

03-07-2014, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 11:47 AM by hermann.)
There is sort of a dualism between a false and true reality in my thinking.

Our conceptual or subjective reality is an illusion, and the objective or ontological reality, the experience of which I call "Gnosis," is real. Unfortunately, the real reality is in a state of nonduality or synthesis, which can be experienced, and is being experienced, in the pure, undifferentiated experience of reality. But as soon as we analyze it, we fragment it, and it no longer is what it really is.

Maybe the ancient Gnostics perceived this kind of dualism, but expressed it in terms that no longer speak to us?

Martin Luther interpreted 1Cor13:9-10 as follows:

For our knowledge is fragmentary, and our prophecies are fragmentation.
But when that which is perfect has come, then the fragmentation will end.

Could "that which is perfect" be the pure expereince of the undifferentiated or nondualsitic reality? Gnosis?
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 03:57 PM by SonofSethoitae.)
The funny thing about Gospel of Judas is that it kinda plays with the notion that "spirit good, matter bad", since the lower gods (archons) are said to be created by God himself, or at least by his/her/it's command.

It seems more like a metaphysical dialectic than a literal truth to me, and it seems like you and I are on a similar page Hermann Big Grin