Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just Starting Out
12-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Just Starting Out
I feel a bit confused by Gnosticism and would like some advice! I find parts of the NT and psalms comforting and I want to keep them but I don't believe Jesus existed. I like the Gnostic Gospels ... what I understand of them ... but when I see books about Gnostic Christianity it seems the authors believe in at least a teacher called Jesus. Can I call myself Gnostic? How do I work out what I believe and whether that fits into Gnosticism?
12-17-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Just Starting Out
Many Gnostic's have varied beliefs about Jesus, some do accept a historical Jesus, others believe he was more Mythical (and Mythical does not mean false either). Others are more Jewish or Pagan, so Jesus doesn't even come into their worldview.

It really depends on you. Also, Gnostic's aren't so concerned with what to believe, it's about discovering for yourself that there is no separation between you and God/the Divine.
01-23-2017, 02:46 PM
RE: Just Starting Out
Gnosticism came in a variety of flavours. It was never unified. As David mentioned, some of the schools of Gnosticism did not include Jewish at all. Sethian Gnosticism, Hermetism etc. There are some great books about it all. What is your particular interest?

InTheWind