Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mellowing into an esoteric christian?
01-11-2015, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 02:35 AM by Luke.)
mellowing into an esoteric christian?
hey folks im not sure where i should post this, or why i need to post this but i feel that i should.
over the past year or so i think i've kinda mellowed from being a gnostic christian into more of an esoteric christian.
don't get me wrong the NHL texts and the Corpus Hermeticum are spiritually still extremely important to me.
i still believe in a single supreme being and that everything came into being through an emanation process from God.
i still believe in the fall of the divine spark from the pleroma and into humanity.
i still believe in the importance that gnosis plays in the salvation process.
i still believe that evil forces (the Archons) try and keep humanity in bondage.

but for a while ive been contemplating certain things, like in the NT you hear "Jesus is LORD" (LORD being the word that the Greeks replaced the Tetragramaton with in the OT) so that probably means "Jesus is the Tetragrammaton", this also makes me think of those "The Son is the Name of the Father" verses in the Gospel of Truth, in Johns Gospel we learn that Jesus is the Logos made flesh and in the corpus hermeticum the Logos is pretty much the demiurge (may be im interpreting it wrong) and I've also been meditating of the Image of Christ Pantocrator (Christ the Sustainer of the World).
all these bits are starting to make me question if Christ is really the Demiurge and the Demiurge is Good?

my view of the world is starting to shift to the more hermetic view that even though the world is fallen and this is not our true home that the divine is still imminent in it and the divine can be contacted via the medium of the material world.

my view on the body is shifting from being a prison (in a sense it still is) to being more of a temporary vehicle.
im starting to think that if you've been given a strong, healthy body you should take care of it and some times you might have to use it.
(even if it is not really you).

im also starting to place more emphasis on Christs Sacriffice on the Cross in the role of our salvation because of the state of the human condition is that broken that i think that a sacrificial act by a God-Man is the only thing that would surfice to help put us back together again.

any thought or opinions, i would love to hear them!
01-11-2015, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 12:26 PM by David_2009.)
RE: mellowing into an esoteric christian?
I don't think there's anything wrong in going from a Gnostic to a Esoteric Christian Path, as the 2 are very, very closely linked (also, Christian Gnosticism, I would, say is Esoteric Christian).

You may like 'Inner Christianity' by Richard Smoley, he's definitely a good author and the book has a lot of useful information and practices you could perhaps adopt. There's also 'Magical Christianity: The Power of Symbols for Spiritual Renewal' by Coleston Brown and also 'A Different Christianity: Early Christian Esotericism and Modern Thought' by Robin Amis, which also focuses on Christian Esotericism, especially of the Eastern Orthodox and early Christian Mysticism, Amis combines it with the Work of Gurdjieff and the Forth Way system.

You may also want to look up Ted Nottingham, if you haven't already.

The important thing is to follow your Heart, and your True Self, and that is the path of Gnosis for you.

For myself, I tend to draw from Gnosticism, Esoteric Christianity, Jewish Mysticism, Pagan traditions and Buddhism and many others to inform my path, though that path has kind of taken a back seat to work and other things lately, unfortunately.

David
01-11-2015, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 11:08 PM by Luke.)
@ David_2009

yeah at some stage im going to have to check out Richard Smoley's 'Inner Christianity', its held in fairly high esteem by a lot of folks around here.
its funny you mention Eastern Orthodoxy, as lately i have been interested in some of their theological concepts.

[quote/]though that path has kind of taken a back seat to work and other things lately, unfortunately. [/quote]
i know the feeling
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Richard Smoley is definitely a great author and his other books are cool as well (one he wrote with Jay Kinney 'Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions' (another book of Kinney's called 'The Inner West' is really good as well).

Eastern Orthodoxy has some very interesting and quite cool concepts, especially the idea of Theosis, and even achieving that state in one lifetime, which is akin to the Tibetan Buddhist Tantric view of achieving Nirvana in one lifetime, though sadly many don't wish to dedicate themselves to such a Path (some that do walk the Path are in appearance only, and are more interested in Evangelicalism).

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened too!.

David
02-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Richard Smoley! Yes!!! I loved that book. Iv not read the one he's done with Kinney - but it sounds good.
The AJC - Apostolic Johannite Church - calls themselves Esoteric Christian I believe --- and that sat well with me.
Because i have such a literal version of Jesus the Radical Jew , for a while I couldnt really connect with Gnosticism at all. (especially after doing OT study and realizing the true origins of the Israelite God/s) but Smoley's book helped me be able to see both the Esoteric Christ as well as Jesus the Jew.
I also will vouch for Ted Nottingham. He has some good Youtube vids -- and writings re the Fourth Way sort of things,

InTheWind
02-03-2015, 11:14 PM
lol it sounds like "Inner Christianity" going to have to be on my next amazon list.
at the moment as i read and reflect upon the OT, NT and the Corpus Hermeticum i am starting to see some sort of connection between the Jewish Elohim, God the Father and the Hermetic/Neoplatonic "Nous" and a connection between the Tetragrammaton, God the son and the "Logos".
as i read the first chapter of the "epistle to the hebrews" last night i kind of had ah-ha moment where all these pieces came together.
i also think i am going to have to check out Origens works because although he saw the gnostics as heretics, from what i have read about his theological and metaphysical views he sounds like a gnostic without an evil demiurge.

@Sr.ShiloMichelle
what do you mean by jesus the radical jew? do you mean you see him as just a first century rabbi who pissed off the romans or do you mean something else?
thanks!
02-04-2015, 12:06 AM
@Luke --- sort of yes. It tends to vary... A book I loved about Jesus was 'Meeting Jesus again for the Very First Time' by MArcus Borg (RIP - just last week Sad ) -- he bridges the realm between the mystical and the mundane regarding Jesus quite well.
I wouldn't say 'Just' a 1st century Rabbi however - he was amazing. He broke rules that Jews did not break. The Jews were quite the sticklers for rules and he taught us to read OUTSIDE the box. Taught us that God was within us. AND without us. Taught us so many amazing things that regardless as to whether he was THE Christ of simply was teaching us a out the Christ within us, I really don't know.

InTheWind
02-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Funny, I've had basically the opposite response in the last little while! Rather than making me more in touch with Christianity, Gnosticism has pretty much evolved into Buddhism for me. Having said that, I'll still be lurking about on here!

With regard to your thought about Christ being a benevolent Demiurge, I used to have a similar theory about Barbelo as the Demiurge. In the Platonic sense, she's much closer than Yaldabaoth. I always figured that Yaldabaoth just stole an area that had already been created, claimed it was his and that he made it, and convinced the beings living there that he was God so he could keep the light to himself. But Barbelo (or Christ, in your case) was the one who actually actualized the stuff in the Great Invisible Spirit. Which is confusing, I know, but it made sense to me Tongue

Wherever your path leads, I hope it ends in wisdom and compassion Smile
01-10-2016, 12:23 PM
I would say I am indeed more 'esoteric' than Gnostic -- though i feel like the search for Gnosis simply transcends the cosmology that is found as the common theme in Gnosticism (as referred to academically)

Sometimes it feels like Yahweh was the demiurge. The initial God of the bible was Ugartic El. Father of Time, El the Compassionate, El the Father - and many other titles that do not at all fit Yahweh. Yahweh arrived on the scene and decided that none of the previous deities - El, nor Baal, nor Ashtart or Athirat should have a place.. but only him. Only Yahweh.. or he was def gonna be pissed off. 'thou shall worship no gods before me'...

Then you get Jesus, who embodies the Christ who brings people back from those stories and myths.. who uses the endearing term 'father' for God again (maybe referring to El? who knows) Jesus who says, 'hey, it's not what goes INTO your mouth that defiles you, but what comes OUT of your mouth' he kind of disregards a huge portion of the Laws, touches the unclean and all that and really does teach a totally different spiritual path than the one that had been practiced by his family, and even different from what it became later when Paul took over... in fact Buddhism is not so far away from that spiritual core. Neither are some of the other paths. It really did seem to start off far more Universal than it has become - but I think Hermetism, Buddhism and the like definitely hold esoteric ideas that are also found in some of the modern expressions of Gnosticism (as well as some of the ancient expressions)

InTheWind
12-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Luke- do you still check in here? (or get notified of new replies? ) wondering how you're doing with your journey.

InTheWind