Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chaldean Oracles
10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Chaldean Oracles
This book, if I understand correctly, is attributed to Zoraster of Chaldea (Ancient Babylon) but in fact is actually the work of Neoplatonists. It shows just how much of a theological relationship exists with the Gnostics. Any more enlightened commentary would be welcome.

In it you will find emanations, monad and dyad and triad, Aeons, and lots of other material used to explain the Gnostic perspective.

Could we start a subforum on this? I would like to post individual sections to explore and compare.
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
RE: Chaldean Oracles
The Oracles pre-dates Neoplatonism though was revered by them. Iamblichus especially makes repeated reference to it. They are generally attributed to Julianus the Chadean and/or his son Julianus the Theurgos (who is generally credited for having coined the term theurgy). The text will be influential not only on the Neoplatonists but also the writers and editors of the Corpus Hermeticum.

peace
-j

Having mingled the Vital Spark from two according substances, Mind and Divine Spirit, as a third to these He added Holy Love, the venerable Charioteer uniting all things. C.O. (81)

Jeffrey S. Kupperman - Urban Fantasy Writer
11-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Where's the best place to read the Chaldean Oracles? Best translation to buy or read for free on the net?
11-29-2009, 12:19 AM
It's really brief... easy to print from the net.
10-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I had a hard time tracking down a recent translation myself. (I forget which one I ended up buying.)

-Kushana
10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure where the best translation is, but I have been enjoying this link.

http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm

‎"The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little."- Thomas Merton
02-04-2012, 02:47 PM
The Majercik translation, from Brill, is probably both the best and the most expensive.

Having mingled the Vital Spark from two according substances, Mind and Divine Spirit, as a third to these He added Holy Love, the venerable Charioteer uniting all things. C.O. (81)

Jeffrey S. Kupperman - Urban Fantasy Writer